Friday, July 29, 2005

Pencil To Ink Sample



This is a panel taken from the comic book HELLCOP (Avalon Studios/Image 1996), pencilled by Gilbert Monsanto and inked by Gerry Alanguilan. Both pencils and inks are shown to demonstrate a little bit of what inkers usually do.

The first thing I noticed was that the mask seemed awry so on the right you can see just how I "straightened" it out. It's the same thing I did for the round filters sticking out of the mask, the goggles and the symbols. The shoulder pads were a bit more tricky. I placed texture on it that doesn't originally appear on the pencils. Why? Probably because it looked better and I did it because it was OK with Gilbert for me to do so.

Also, in the original drawings had only a hint of mouldings on the arch above a doorway behind the figure. I went in and defined the mouldings even more, to make it clearer that it was indeed a doorway.

I'm glad that I have this kind of freedom when I ink Hellcop. I feel more fulfilled and happier with the job and I feel I really contribute to making the book a better one. I can only do this because I'm allowed to and I would not actively advice anyone else to do it without prior consultation with your penciller and editor.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Hey, Gerry. Thanks for inviting me here. I'll post an entry soon when I think of something more helpful. Maybe FAQ's tools or something. I dunno. We'll see.

I see you embellished Gilbert's work. I never saw the original pencils of this issue. Nice to see you posted it.

Salamat!

-ed

6:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey I am currently building my portfolio and I wanted to know if you knew a place where I can get samples of artwork that I can ink in order to showcase my inking skills.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home