Friday, July 29, 2005

Inker's Tools



When I talk to people, especially those who aren't comic book readers, they asked me my current job. I tell them that I'm a colourist for comic books. The word colourist itself says everything about my job. But when I mentioned I was an inker, they pour me some questions. They thought I mix paints and inks for the printer. Woot?! So I explain everything. Other said "So, you trace the one that pencils the pages with pens and inks?" I told them "No, we don't trace pencillers' drawings, we draw too." Other said it was an easy job, coz you don't need to have drawing talent or something. NO, it is not an easy job in the comic biz, really.

Above are some tools that I use for inking. Just imagine, you tell us we just "trace" drawings of pencillers...try tracing any drawings with theses tools. Then say to us it is an easy job.

There are artists who uses just brush entirely on the artwork. I tried that once, but it wasn't easy, my hands aren't too steady to do straight line with a brush. I can draw with just brush before, I'm just out of practice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zorki said...

hehe, this reminds me of the scene from "Chasing Amy" excellent website dude.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Yeah, it was weird too when they mentioned to me the "tracer" word.

:D

5:41 AM  
Blogger jonasdiego said...

When you use brush for inking are nylon bristles the best? :)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Atula Siriwardane said...

I use the brush entirely for many pieces... actually the most...
Holding the brush at nearly 90 degrees to the board and moving the hand from elbow makes things easier...
Lifting the ruler from the side we ink and keeping the nail of the middle finger to the ruler we can draw straight lines with brush,
I think sable hair is the best..
Raphael or Windsor and Newton.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home